2013 Mental Health Conference: Why Wellness Works
Mental Health America invites you to experience the premier mental health conference in 2013, Why Wellness Works: Breakthroughs and Pathways to Whole Health, which will take place June 5 - 8, 2013, at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in National Harbor, Maryland, just outside of Washington, DC. Check out a map of the area here!
Our Speakers: Geoffrey Canada, President & CEO of the Harlem Children's Zone, Dr. James Prochaska, Director of the Cancer Prevention Research Center and developer of the Transtheoretical Model of Behavior Change, David Granirer, Counselor, Stand-up Comic, & Actor, and other national experts will address the latest developments in the health and wellness fields and its impact and relationship to: management of mental health conditions and accompanying chronic conditions; strategies for recovery from those conditions; our schools, workplaces and family life; and the Affordable Care Act.
Mental Health America has been approved for 1.9 Continuing Education Units (19 contact hours) through the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Social Work for those who attend the entire conference. CEU hours vary each day of the conference but will be offered for approved sessions that participants attend. Please contact your licensing/ accreditation authority to ensure they accept CEUs from the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Social Work.
- Upon registering at the conference, Conference participants can apply for CEUs. Please note that payment for CEUs will only be accepted by check to VCU School of Social Work.
- Questions related to CEUs can be directed to America Paredes at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 703.838.7523.
The fact is our overall well-being is tied to the balance that exists between our emotional, physical, spiritual and mental health. Understanding how these components all work together to achieve wellness is key to transforming the health of our communities.
Fully embracing the principles of wellness not only improves health in the mind, body and spirit, but also maximizes one's potential to lead a full and productive life.
Through this conference, Mental Health America will promote strategies for achieving wellness to contribute to the prevention of and recovery from mental health and substance use disorders.
Why Wellness Works: Breakthroughs and Pathways to Whole Health will feature:
- A Health & Wellness Expo featuring health screenings, healthy living demonstrations, and community resources
- Facilitator-led health and wellness activities offered throughout the conference
- Speakers from across the country at keynotes and wellness-focused breakout sessions
- The Clifford Beers Awards Dinner recognizing successful and promising health and wellness programs and services
Mental Health America's 2013 Annual Conference is designed to provide a wide variety of educational and networking opportunities for a diverse group of individuals and organizations who are working to: develop and promote behavioral health integration, inclusion of wellness strategies in community public education efforts, and engage in promoting recovery for people with mental illnesses, co-occurring disorders and the community at large.
- 240 local Mental Health America affiliates
- Licensed mental health professionals
- Employee assistance and human resource professionals
- Workplace wellness professionals
- Holistic practitioners
- Substance use counselors
- Peer support specialists
- Prevention specialists
- Case managers
- Community advocates
- Health care consumers and their families
- Professionals engaged in social services, health care and public policy
ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH AMERICA
Mental Health America, founded in 1909, is the nation's leading community-based network dedicated to helping all Americans achieve wellness by living mentally healthier lives. With our 240 affiliates across the country, we touch the lives of millions-Advocating for changes in mental health and wellness policy; Educating the public & providing critical information; and delivering urgently needed mental health and wellness Programs and Services.