You are here

Military Mental Health

Mental Health America is proud to champion Operation Healthy Reunions, a first-of-its-kind program that provides education and helps to bust the stigma of mental health issues among soldiers, their families, and medical staff to ensure that a greater number of military families receive the prompt and high-quality care they deserve.

Fort Hood Resources

Guidelines to help Americans respond and cope with tragic events


In partnership with the leading military organizations, Mental Health America distributes educational materials on such topics as reuniting with your spouse and children, adjusting after war, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).


Direct Services/Health Benefits 

Online Screening Tools


Military Families


National Guard and Reservists



Domestic Abuse

Wounded Soldier Support


Financial Issues

Loss of a Family Member

Direct Services/Health Benefits


(877) 874-2273 North Region 

(800) 403-3950 South Region 

(888) 874-9378 West Region

(888) 363-2273 Main TRICARE Information Service number

TRICARE has three regional claims offices that can be contacted for information about healthcare benefits, including benefits for mental health and substance abuse services.

Deployment Health Clinical Center

The Deployment Health Clinical Center Web site offers a list of resources for service members and their families and a link to the Department of Defense Mental Health Self-Assessment Program (alcohol and mental health screening).

Department of Veterans Affairs

The official Web site for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers information about benefits for returning veterans, those who have lost a loved one, health insurance information and facility locator to help find the closest VA Medical Center and the services it offers.

Vet Centers

Vet Centers provide readjustment counseling and outreach services to all veterans who served in any combat zone. Services are also available for their family members for military-related issues. Veterans have earned these benefits through their service and all are provided at no cost to the veteran or family. The 207 community based Vet Centers are located in all fifty states, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Use this link to locate your closest Vet Center.

Military OneSource 

(800) 342-9647 (24-hour, toll-free number)

• ARMY - "Army OneSource" 800-464-8107 

• MARINES - "Marines OneSource" 800-869-0278 

• NAVY - "Navy OneSource" 800-540-4123 

• AIR FORCE - "Air Force OneSource" 800-707-5784 

A Military OneSource consultant can provide a brief assessment and referral to mental health professionals across the country for six free counseling sessions.

Dept of Defense Helpline 

(800) 796-9699

This is a deployment helpline at Walter Reed Medical Center.


Department of Defense Compensation Handbook


Online Screening Tools

Screening for Mental Health's Mental Health Self-Assessment Program 

(877) 877-3647

Depression Screening




Discussing Trauma and PTSD With Your Doctor

PTSD and the Family

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Real Illness


National Center for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 

(802) 296-6300

This is a Web site sponsored by the Department. of Veterans Affairs that offers a broad range of information about post-traumatic stress disorder, treatment methods and has a VA facilities locator.

Anxiety Disorders Association of America

(240) 485-1001

The Anxiety Disorders Association of America offers extensive information about anxiety disorders (including PTSD) in people of all ages, online self-screening tools, a searchable list of treatment professionals and support groups, information about clinical trials, a medication chart, on-line newsletter, personal stories, and an online bookstore.

The Sidran Traumatic Stress Institute 

(888) 825-8249 (therapist referral)

The Sidran Traumatic Stress Institute offers extensive information online about PTSD, geographic lists of therapists with experience treating people with PTSD, and books, articles, and referrals to support groups. They also have information about self-injury.

Suicide Hotline 

Phone: (800) 273-TALK (8255)

By calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline's 24 hour toll-free crisis hotline, 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255), you are connected with a crisis center that can tell you where to seek immediate help in your area.

Witness Justice: for survivors of traumatic events 

(800) 495-4957

Witness Justice offers information to help survivors and their friends and family. Use keywords, “military families” or “war” in the search box to find materials on these topics.

American Psychiatric Association (APA) 

(888) 357-7924

The APA has information about a broad range of mental health topics. To locate a psychiatrist in your area, you can contact APA's Answer Center using their toll-free number.

National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) 

(866) 615-6464

NIMH offers information about a broad range of mental health topics, including PTSD, medications and listing of current clinical trials. Their initiative Real Men Real Depression offers information to help encourage men to seek treatment for depression.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Mental Health Information Center 


SAMHSA provides referrals to outpatient, inpatient and residential treatment facilities, including affordable mental health services. Their Web site has a Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator to help you find substance abuse and dual diagnosis treatment (combined treatment for those who have both a substance abuse and mental health problem).


Military Families

Army Community Service Center

MyArmyLifeToo offers information and articles on various topics, such as home and personal safety, managing deployment and money management.

Military OneSource

(800) 342-9647 (24-hour, toll-free number)

See description in above section.

National Military Family Association 

(800) 260-0218

The National Military Family Association educates military families about their rights and benefits. Their main programs are Spouse Scholarships (awarded to spouses to obtain professional certification or attend post-secondary or graduate school) and Operation Purple Camps (summer camps for military children).

Army Family Readiness Group

Family members can check their unit's Web site for up-to-date information and information about other families in the unit.

Marine Corps Community Services

Find support programs, including deployment, relocation and transition.

Army Families Online

(800) 833-6622

Army Families Online staffs the Army Information Line from 8:00am to 4:30pm EST. They offer information and referral services for Army soldiers, civilians, retirees, veterans and families and address all issues and concerns. For mental health services, they refer to One-Source or for active-duty soldiers, they can connect them to their chaplain or someone in their chain of command.

The Military Spouse Resource Center provides information and resources to spouses of military personnel related to education, training and employment within the U.S. They also have a section on relocation resources.

Military Family Network

Their mission is to support military families and increase their readiness and well-being by connecting them with their communities and the organizations that provide the best service and value. 


Families in the Military

Helping Children Cope During Deployment

Helping Kids Cope

Coping when a family member has been called to war

Advancing the Health of the Family left Behind

Coping With the Stress of Ongoing Military Operations

Helping Our Children Deal With War


Veterans and Families

Veterans and Families provide information and resources to help homecoming Veterans and their families in their transition from military to civilian life. You will find links to online support groups.


How to Get Back to Normal

When the Letdown Doesn't Let Up

Being a Couple Again

Reconnecting With Your Children

Returning from the War Zone: A Guide for Military Families

Courage to Care: Becoming a Couple Again

Welcome Home: A guide to a healthy family reunion

National Guard and Reservists

Army Reserve Family Programs

(800) 318-5298 (Army HR Command)

The Army Reserve Family Programs offers homecoming and reunion resources, including tips and links to resources.

National Guard Family Programs 

(888) 777-7731 

The National Guard Family Programs offer information about programs, benefits, and resources, including family, youth and community outreach initiatives.

Citizen Soldiers Support Program

Citizen Soldiers Support Programs works with local community agencies and organizations to address needs of Citizen Soldiers (including members of the National Guard and Reservists) and their families.


Returning to Work

Helping National Guard and Reserve Reenter the Workplace


Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America

The Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America provides support through advocacy, education and fundraising (fundraising mainly for VA hospitals).

National Veterans Foundation 

(888) 777-4443 (hotline) (9am-9pm PST)

The National Veterans Foundation is operated by veterans and helps veterans and families access the help they need, including suicide and crisis intervention and mental health/PTSD counseling.


(877) 7AM-VETS

AMVETS provides information, counseling and claims service to all honorably discharged veterans and their families concerning their benefits. They are also involved in community service programs and advocacy.

Vietnam Veterans of America 

(800) VVA-1316

The Vietnam Veterans of America is a support and advocacy organization.


(573) 449-2003 offers resources for parents, spouses, family and friends of Marines. They help connect families to each other via e-mail, chat rooms and message boards.


Your Soldier Your Army: A Parent’s Guide

Domestic Abuse

National Domestic Violence Hotline 

(800) 799-SAFE (7233) 

(800) 787-3224 (TTY)

Through this 24-hour hotline, you can speak with a hotline advocate. Hotline advocates provide support and assistance to anyone involved in a domestic violence situation, crisis intervention, safety planning, information about domestic violence and referrals to local service providers. A direct connection to domestic violence resources is available in the caller’s area.

Wounded Soldier Support

Military Severely Injured Joint Operations Center

(888) 774-1361 (24-hour hotline)


This Center offers assistance for severely wounded service members and their families by connecting them with various military and government agencies. They offer help with medical care, rehabilitation, education, employment, mental health counseling, and financial assistance and accommodation issues. They also offer regional ombudsmen/advocates. The Center is staffed with registered nurses, master's level researchers and counselors working as care managers who can answer questions and provide nationwide assistance.

National Family Caregivers Association 

(800) 896-3650

The National Family Caregivers Association educates, supports, empowers and speaks up for the more than 50 million Americans who care for loved ones with a chronic illness or disability or the frailties of old age. NFCA reaches across the boundaries of diagnoses, relationships and life stages to address the common needs and concerns of all family caregivers. They offer educational materials and links to other resources and support.

Fisher House 

(888) 294-8560

Fisher House provides housing and other supports so that family members can be close to wounded or ill service members. They also offer a frequent flyer donation program and a scholarship program.

National Amputation Foundation

(516) 887-3600

This organization provides support for recent amputees, including in person peer support and phone support. They also offer donated medical equipment and printed information.

Blind Veterans Association 

(202) 371-8880

This organization offers support to blinded veterans via field representatives and peer to peer support for veterans and families. They also offer scholarship program for spouses and dependant children.

Paralyzed Veterans of America 

(800) 424-8200

The Paralyzed Veterans of America is an advocacy organization that also provides benefits information, social programs and sports and recreation programs.

Marine for Life Injured Support Program 

(888) 774-1361 (24 Hour Injured Support Hotline)

This program offers help with reintegration and transitioning from Marines to VA. They provide information about specific injuries, benefits and links to other agencies. Direct support is available via their toll-free number.

Navy Safe Harbor Program 

(877) 746-8563

This program provides support and assistance to sailors injured after 9/10/01. They help with benefits information and retention or transition into civilian life.


National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies 

(800) 793-0324 x341

NACCRRA works with the Department of Defense (DoD) to help those who serve in the military find and afford child care that suits their unique needs. For help finding a child care provider, contact Child Care Aware at (800) 424-2246 or at To reach the Military Subsidy department, call the number listed above.

Financial Issues

Armed Forces Relief Trust 

This is the main Web site for collecting donations for Military relief organizations.

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance 

(800) 881-2462

The Coast Guard Mutual Assistance program offers financial counseling and assistance via grants and loans for emergency housing, food, medical assistance and other essentials.

Army Emergency Relief 

(866) 878-6378

Army Emergency Relief offers financial counseling and assistance via grants and loans for emergency housing, food, medical assistance and other essentials. It is usually handled via the local or base Army Emergency Relief officer. They also offer scholarship programs.

Navy Marine Corps Relief Society 

Navy Marine Corps Relief Society offers financial counseling and assistance via grants and loans for emergency housing, food, medical assistance and other essentials. Please contact the nearest office for assistance.

VA Home Loans for Veterans

A guide to understanding the benefits of, types of, and eligibility requirements for VA Loans.

Refinancing Mortages for Veterans

This mortgage guide for veterans is offered as an educational resource for those interested in understanding the home ownership possibilities available through the Veterans Affairs Mortgage Loan Programs.

Loss of a Family Member

American Gold Star Mothers 

(202) 265-0991

They are a non-profit membership organization for mothers who have lost a son or daughter in the military. They provide support and sponsor memorial programs and events.

Comfort Zone Camp 

(866) 488-5679

Comfort Zone Camp provides grief support weekend camps for children ages 7 to17 and offers special programs for children in military families.

Gold Star Wives 

(888) 751-6350

Gold Star Wives is a non-profit membership organization for people who have lost spouses in the military. They offer local chapters, memorial programs, support and benefit information.

Society of Military Widows 

(800) 842-3451, Ext. 1005

The Society of Military Widows is a non-profit membership advocacy and support organization. They provide information about benefits, supports and networking via local chapters.

TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors) 

(202) 588-TAPS (8277)

TAPS offers support for survivors: peer support as well as 24-hour crisis intervention. They also provide information about benefits and other services, survivor seminars, camps for children and have an online chat.


Bereavement and Grief

Returning to Work

Business and Professional Women/USA Business and Women's Professional Foundation 

(202) 293-1100

This group developed Women Joining Forces, a program designed to help women veterans re-enter the workforce. 


Returning to Work

2000 N. Beauregard Street,
6th Floor Alexandria, VA 22311

Phone (703) 684.7722

Toll Free (800) 969.6642

Fax (703) 684.5968

Text Resize

-A +A

The links on this page may contain document data that requires additional software to open: